General waste, recycling and compostable waste
BROKEN GLASS is a Health and Safety risk and will not be recycled. If you have been provided with a glass recycling bin, please use it with care.
Do not store rubbish in boxes behind partitions on your site, as this could be a fire hazard or attract vermin.
Clearly labelled General Waste, Recycling, and Compostable Waste bins are located in waste stations throughout the Fieldays site. Please separate your recycling, glass, broken down cardboard, landfill and compostable and place in or next to these bin stations multiple times throughout the day. A few minutes of your time will save the Waste Team working overnight and minimise health and safety risks.
Our waste crew will work towards the highest landfill diversion rate as possible, so please consider separating the following:
- Glass (separated into single colours – green, clear, brown)
- Plastic (1, 2, 5 only)
- Aluminium cans (do not crush)
- Cardboard and paper – with boxes broken down
- Building materials – including timber and metal
- Food waste
- Approved Compostable Packaging.
- Avoid bringing these problem items to Fieldays:
- Soft plastics (eg: clothing covers) we cannot recycle large volumes of these
- Coat hangers cannot be recycled, consider reusing or sending them back to your suppliers instead
- Non-compostable coffee cups, lids, and hot chip containers go straight to landfill
- Compostable packaging with non-compostable stickers, or plastic windows – the stickers and plastic windows cause the entire packaging to be unrecyclable
Suggested compostable packaging
You can purchase the correct packaging from many different distributors if it is in line with the Kraft, cutlery and drinks range mentioned below.
- Kraft packaging is the preferred product that can be composted locally: Clamshells and chip cups, burger boxes, snack and dinner boxes, catering trays, carry boxes, open trays and combo boxes.
- Cutlery & Accessories:
Wooden cutlery and chopsticks, paper napkins, 100% paper grease-proof etc are the only suitable options that can be composted.
- Drinks & Accessories:
Kraft coffee sleeves, Home Compostable Certified Aqueous lined paper cups and paper straws
The only exception at this stage is for rPET 1 cups and lids which will be sorted and recycled.
PLA-lined coffee cups cannot be recycled or composted and will end up in a landfill.